Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)
What is it? A clinically proven mind/body technique that:
- Produces peace, calm, acceptance and often big cognitive shifts
- Lowers stress hormone levels, especially cortisol
- Improves immune function
- Produces the brain waves associated with relaxation
- Favorably changes genetic expression
- Lasting/permanent improvements are maintained
Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) is the most widely known process in the field of Energy Psychology. It was derived as a combination of cognitive therapy and acupressure. Cognitive therapy focuses on present thinking, behavior and communication, oriented towards problem solving. Acupressure is use of fingers to hold or tap on acupuncture meridian points. The specific points used are the ones that calm down the stress response.
EFT uses acupuncture points to calm the “Fight/Flight/Freeze Response” while using two very well
researched psychological techniques:
• Exposure (holding the issue in mind) and
• Cognitive restructuring (self acceptance)
So very simply put, we tap on points while holding in mind some present issue that we wish to treat. The juxtaposition of calming the body’s stress response while focusing on something that is causing us stress or discomfort, shakes loose the stuck energy and allows for a conscious shift.
For links to more information on EFT, please check the resources page. Also, some of my blog posts address various aspects of what can be worked on and how we go about it.